Medjugorje, Bosnia-Hercegovina: Apparitions of the Virgin Mary in Medjugorje
According to six visionaries, as well as millions of believers,
the Virgin Mary began appearing in the tiny Balkan village of Medjugorje (med-you-gor-yeh) on June
24th, 1981. She has appeared every day since. Her messages, intended for all
humanity, ask people to place God first in their lives.
The visionaries…Ivan, Marija, Ivanka, Jakov, Vicka and Mirjana… claim
that Gospa -- the Croatian word for 'Our Lady' -- has been giving them
each ten secrets concerning the future of the world. These secrets
are said to include miracles and worldwide events that will be sent
by God to convert humanity. The daily apparitions stopped for Mirjana,
Ivanka and Jakov after they received all ten secrets. However, Ivan,
Marija and Vicka still see the Virgin Mary every day.
The Bishop of Mostar is not supportive of the Medjugorje apparitions, but the
Vatican continues to show a great deal of interest. In fact, many
bishops, priests and other clergy claim that Pope John Paul the Second
strongly believed in Medugorje. He had met personally with at least
three of the visionaries. After Pope John Paul II's death, the Medjugorje visionary Ivan saw him during an apparition with Our Lady. The Pope appeared young and joyful.
According to Catholic history, Mary is playing a significant role
in the salvation of mankind. This was highlighted in a recent Church
breakthrough when, in October, 2002, Pope John Paul the Second introduced
a fourth set of mysteries for the rosary, called the Luminous Mysteries.
He asked that the Rosary be prayed particularly for the causes of
world peace and the strengthening of family life, coincidentally
also the two most urgent pleas from Mary in Medjugorje.
the Medjugorje visionary Ivan Dragicevic, "Basically
what Our Lady has been telling us in these twenty years is everything
that is written in the Bible, in the Gospel. She's trying to put
it in a simple way so it is easy for us to understand."
have been recorded at most Marian apparition sites of the past,
be said that miracles are daily occurrences in
Medjugorje. Recently, a bronze statue representing the Risen Christ
in Medjugorje began seeping a watery substance. This occurrence,
already attributed to miraculous healings, is believed by some to
represent water as a means of purification. Other "Little Miracles" include
the common miracle of the sun, where people can look directly at
the sun without any discomfort and often see it "dance" around
When one takes into account the endless stream of good fruits emanating
from Medjugorje, it seems evident that the Blessed Mother is truly
appearing here. With such a multitude of pilgrims reporting conversions
and healings, it's often hard for believers to understand why the
local Bishop is not supportive of the apparitions.
The third secret
of the ten that were given to the Medjugorje visionaries promises
appearance of a permanent sign on Apparition Hill, where
the visitations began. According to Mary, the sign will be a gift
from God to show the world that He exists. It will be possible to
see, photograph and film this sign, but not touch it. Our Lady, however,
is careful to point out that we should not be waiting for the sign. "You
faithful already have signs, and you yourselves must become signs
to unbelievers…You must not wait for the sign before you are
converted. Convert yourselves soon, for this is a time of grace for
you. This time is for deepening your faith and conversion. When the
sign comes it will be too late for many."
Through messages relayed by the visionaries, Our Lady continually
reminds us that her apparitions in Medjugorje represent a period
of special grace and a time for conversion. As an example, people
who visit this blessed village find their souls renewed and refreshed.
the visionary Jakov Colo, "The messages that Our
Lady is giving here in Medjugorje are for the whole world, for all
The fact that Our Lady is appearing every day now in Medjugorje
further confirms her plan. The Balkan region is the geographical
crossroads between Christianity and Islam. Catholics, Orthodox Christians
and Muslims are forced to live here as neighbors. After the fall
of communism in Yugoslavia, the ensuing struggle for power led to
a horrible ethnic war, despite Mary's constant calls to peace. This
atrocity should serve as a warning of what could happen on a global
level if people still do not listen.
Today, the fruits of Medjugorje are obvious. Multitudes of people
still come to this village, almost always leaving with renewed faith
in God. They go on to spread the messages of Our Lady to all who
will listen. Often, they echo the urgent words that she has spoken
thing that I would want to tell you is to be converted. Make that
all my children as quickly as possible. No pain,
no suffering is too great for me in order to save the world; but
I plead with you, be converted. You cannot imagine what the Eternal
Father will send to earth. That is why you must be converted! Renounce
everything. Do penance. Express my thanks to all my children who
have prayed and fasted. I carry all this to my Divine Son in order
to obtain an alleviation of His justice against the sins of mankind.
I thank the people who have prayed and fasted. Persevere and help
me to convert the world."
Our Lady of Medjugorje gives a message to the world on the 25th of every month. Sign up here to receive it through email.
Unique Medjugorje Photographs
Science Proves the Medjugorje Apparitions
Following are the profound results from one of the many scientific tests done to the Medjugorje visionaries.
French-Italian scientific theological commission "On the extraordinary events that are taking place in Medjugorje"
The international French-Italian scientific theological commission "on the extraordinary events that are taking place in Medjugorje" examined the apparitions of Medjugorje the most competently and the most expertly. The assembly of seventeen renowned natural scientists, doctors, psychiatrists and theologians in their research came to a 12 point conclusion on January 14, 1986 in Paina near Milan.
1. On the basis of the psychological tests, for all and each of the visionaries it is possible with certainty to exclude fraud and deception.
2. On the basis of the medical examinations, tests and clinical observations etc, for all and each of the visionaries it is possible to exclude pathological hallucinations.
3. On the basis of the results of previous researches for all and each of the visionaries it is possible to exclude a purely natural interpretation of these manifestations.
4. On the basis of information and observations that can be documented, for all and each of the visionaries it is possible to exclude that these manifestations are of the preternatural order i.e. under demonic influence.
5. On the basis of information and observations that can be documented, there is a correspondence between these manifestations and those that are usually described in mystical theology.
6. On the basis of information and observations that can be documented, it is possible to speak of spiritual advances and advances in the theological and moral virtues of the visionaries, from the beginning of these manifestations until today.
7. On the basis of information and observations that can be documented, it is possible to exclude teaching or behavior of the visionaries that would be in clear contradiction to Christian faith and morals.
8. On the basis of information or observations that can be documented, it is possible to speak of good spiritual fruits in people drawn into the supernatural activity of these manifestations and in people favorable to them.
9. After more than four years, the tendencies and different movements that have been generated through Medjugorje, in consequence of these manifestations, influence the people of God in the Church in complete harmony with Christian doctrine and morals.
10. After more than four years, it is possible to speak of permanent and objective spiritual fruits of movements generated through Medjugorje.
11. It is possible to affirm that all good and spiritual undertakings of the Church, which are in complete harmony with the authentic magisterium of the Church, find support in the events in Medjugorje.
12. Accordingly, one can conclude that after a deeper examination of the protagonists, facts, and their effects, not only in the local framework, but also in regard to the responsive chords of the Church in general, it is well for the Church to recognize the supernatural origin and, thereby, the purpose of the events in Medjugorje.
So far it is the most conscientious and the most complete research of the Medjugorje phenomena, and, for that very reason, it is the most positive that has yet been said about it on a scientific-theological level.