Chat with other believers about Medjugorje.

Moderators: TimHaley, MedjAdmin, Management

By Mosie
From Medjugorje.net --Christopher Cardinal Schönborn, Cardinal Archbishop of Vienna, arrived in Medjugorje today, December 28, 2009, to celebrate the New Year and enjoy a few days of quiet prayer time. On his first visit to St. James Parish of Medjugorje, Cardinal Schönborn was greeted today by Fr. Petar Vlasic, the Pastor, and met with the Franciscan Friars including former pastor, Fr. Tomislav Pervan. Cardinal Schönborn shared that he plans to spend time with the Cenacolo Community and meet with Marija Pavlovic-Lunetti, one of the six visionaries of Medjugorje. He intends to be available to hear confession and will be celebrating midnight Mass at St. James Church on New Year’s Eve.

A beautiful way to begin the New Year!!
By timberhollow
Mosie, thank you for the update. Yes, it certainly is a wonderful start to the new year.
By bluecross
The fact that he is celebrating midnight Mass on New Year’s eve is a very positive sign, as January 1 is the Solemnity of the Mother of God.

January 1, is also celebrated as World Day of Peace.

Surely no coincidence then that cardinal Schonborn is celebrating Mass in this way where the Queen of Peace is present in such a special way.

Surely no coincidence then that the “Maternity” of Mary is acknowledged also in this way when she consistently starts her messages to the people of the world with the words “Dear Children...”

Let no one think that the Holy See is not preparing to bestow shrine status on Medjugorje especially when a top cardinal chooses this special day to celebrate Mass at Medjugorje and in such a visible way.

It is only a matter of time... perhaps even this coming year 2010 :)

This is a real positive marker for Medjugorje, one that critics will find difficult to dismiss.

My Immaculate Heart will triumph!
By bluecross
I’m getting some information through of Fr Tomislav Pervan speaking about cardinal Shonborn’s visit during his homily in St James this evening.

I won’t be able to do anything else tonight (It’s 1.00am in the morning here) but hopefully I may be able to get someone to check on this and provide details for later today.

Apparently, the cardinal has already expressed some very positive views about Medjugorje in the short time he has been there.
By rogercillo
Forgive my lack of knowledge - Is "shrine status" and official "endorsement" of the actual apparitions themselves? Or is it a step just short of that, where Medjugorje is acknowledged as a place of special graces and maybe miracles?
By davidtlig
I just heard an announcement at the end of today's 10am English Mass (which could be viewed and listened to on the web tv service from St James) that Maria wouild be speaking in the 'Yellow Hall' this afternoon and that Cardinal Schonborn would speak in the same location tommorrow afternoon (Wednesday). The announcement confirmed that the Cardinal would celebrate the New Year's eve midnight Mass.

David
By rogercillo
What is the yellow hall, and again, what is the significance of shrine status (is that an official vatican "endorsement")?

And if the yellow hall is in St James church, am I correct in my recollection that the visionaries were previously asked not to speak in public forums from within the church?
By bluecross
Thank you for this information, David.

So much for the “private” aspect of the cardinal’s visit.

I do hope that the Cardinal’s talk is recorded and translated. I’m sure it will be.

I got the gist of some of what Fr Tomislav spoke after his homily in the church last night.

Fr Tomislav said that the cardinal had already come and spent time in Adoration and afterwards spent time at the back of the church in prayer.

As he left the church, the cardinal is reported to have said: “Who could make these things up? Who could invent this thing? Man? No, this is not a human opera.”

Fr Tomislav then said that we should not forget that the cardinal held an important position in producing the Catechism of the Church and therefore a friend of the Holy Father.
By bluecross
Is "shrine status" and official "endorsement" of the actual apparitions themselves?
No. It is not an endorsement of the apparitions.

From the Code of Canon Law:

CHAPTER III. SHRINES

Can. 1230 By the term shrine is understood a church or other sacred place to which numerous members of the faithful make pilgrimage for a special reason of piety, with the approval of the local ordinary.

Can. 1231 For a shrine to be called a national shrine, the conference of bishops must give its approval; for it to be called an international shrine, the approval of the Holy See is required.

Can. 1232 §1. The local ordinary is competent to approve the statutes of a diocesan shrine; the conference of bishops for the statutes of a national shrine; the Holy See alone for the statutes of an international shrine.

§2. The statutes are to determine especially the purpose, the authority of the rector, and the ownership and administration of goods.

Can. 1233 Certain privileges can be granted to shrines whenever local circumstances, the large number of pilgrims, and especially the good of the faithful seem to suggest it.

Can. 1234 §1. At shrines the means of salvation are to be supplied more abundantly to the faithful by the diligent proclamation of the word of God, the suitable promotion of liturgical life especially through the celebration of the Eucharist and of penance, and the cultivation of approved forms of popular piety.

§2. Votive offerings of popular art and piety are to be kept on display in the shrines or nearby places and guarded securely.
By bluecross
And if the yellow hall is in St James church, am I correct in my recollection that the visionaries were previously asked not to speak in public forums from within the church?
The yellow hall is not part of the church building.
By puddyhuston
Wonderful news and what Fr Tomislav said is so important. I sure hope the Catholic Herald picks this news up, in fact I am going to tweet this link to the editor.
I bet Sean will video his talk if he is allowed to do so and he might even be able to interview him.
I want to be in Medjugorje just now.
Wait until the Cardinal sees the crowds of young people from all over Europe arriving today and tomorrow for New Year
Stella
By OnASpiritualJourney2
Stella I'm with you - I'm there in my heart, but wish my feet were there too! :lol: How fortunate the pilgrims there for Christmas and now this too! Sean, we want a full report when you return!!! :D

Wonderful, wonderful news on the Cardinal's visit. :D
By MedjAdmin
I just checked on this and was told that the Cardinal will actually be talking in St. James Church tomorrow. It will be in Italian but there will be an English translation via handheld radio. I will be there!
By Mosie
I love this discussion about the Cardinal, so exciting and so hopeful. I am listening to the Rosary of the evening program and watching the people inside and outside St.James. It is packed to overflowing...so great for the Cardinal to witness. Ave Maria!!!! I, too, wish I was there but this is as close as I can get until September. How wonderful that we have the videocams to help us "see" what is going on!
By bluecross
Cardinal Schönborn joined other pilgrims today in spending time at the Blue Cross and praying on Apparition Hill. He was accompanied by the visionary Marija Pavlovic-Lunetti, (pictured standing directly in front of Our Lady’s statue).

By LittleRed
How great is this :D .....and I like that it is actual photos of the cardinal right there in Medjugorje...no denying that he was there :lol: .......
By pablovb
omg I am so happy!!!!!!!
By davidtlig
Again thanks to the web tv service from St James, it was possible to see that Cardinal Schonborn celebrated the 9am German Mass today, along with 8 or 9 other priests.

At the end of the 10am Mass, it was announced that Cardinal Schonborn would speak in the Church, today, at 3pm (as Sean had earlier reported).

David
By athenacp
Finally was able to see and read the blogs last night (no access during the day), awesome!
By puddyhuston
The Cardinal is speaking now in St James' church, such a shame it is not translated for us online.

Stella
By Mosie
I am watching here in Massachusetts, too, Stella. I hope the whole
world is watching. I hope there is a translation soon and that we
are notified. I'll be bluecross will get it to us pronto~~we can
always count on him :)

I really miss reading the updates and discussion o[…]